Thursday 25 June 2015

Food Review: Family Mart Agedashi Tofu Meal


Thank God I was able to take pics of this delightful meal; the guard told me (while in the process of taking pics to be uploaded to Fitbit) that I was not allowed to take pics of their food.  I didn't argue, but I'm guessing that he seems to be under the misapprehension that taking pics inside the store is the same as taking pics of the store.

In any case, having just devoured my meal (I was taking pics of the other meal in the ref), I was in a good mood and didn't argue the finer points of Family Mart policy (besides, I'm not sure if anyone ever won an argument with a security guard, short of one person or the other getting beaten up with an ugly stick).  Thankfully, I took pics before I finished my Agedashi Tofu Meal and, as you can see above, it looks pretty edible.

Serving Size
Now, my main reason for choosing this meal is two-fold: 1, it costs a reasonable amount of calories (424), 2, it had the most amount of proteins (18 grams).  My other choice was the Hainanese Chicken, and it was literally a few slivers of chicken with brownish rice; the tofu meal was significantly substantial in comparison.  The rice portion was a bit on the lean side though, probably in an attempt to keep the calorie count a bit lower.


Taste
The Agedashi Tofu tasted pretty good, and relatively faithful to the ones you encounter in Japanese Restaurants.  It came with meat (pork, I assume) and some spring onions.  It had mushrooms as well, which I managed to enjoy.  The rice was fragrant and is of higher quality compared to the over-the-counter ones you can buy.  Given the proportions of tofu VS rice, you could probably order another ball of rice and still have enough tofu to go with it.

One tip though, if you're bothered by cold spots in the middle of your tofu due to the uneven heating, you might want to ask the staff to heat the meal a bit longer.

Conclusion
At 150 pesos per tray, it's beyond my normal budget for daily meals.  However, given the taste and generous serving, I think this is just about worth your money.  There are a number of other options in this Fresh n' Lite series but they're all equally expensive.  The addition of nutritional information is a big plus (and selling point), but ultimately, this product will sell due to the taste and general health-iness, especially compared to other offerings.

I've seen a number of 'premium' meals in 7-11, and I'm hoping to try them out soon.  As it is, the Agedashi Tofu Meal will be part of my go-to meal rotation.

Verdict: 4/5 Expensive, but worth it!

No comments:

Post a Comment